Vermont Packinghouse offers a full suit of meat processing services from slaughter and
fabrication to case-ready fresh sausages and smoked items, like sausages, bacon, and ham.
Our facility is USDA inspected, certified organic, and 3rd party audited for safety and quality.
We work with a wide range of customers, from direct marketers bringing in just one animal, to branded programs with a full truckload. Our abattoir handles cattle and hogs. We do not slaughter, but will make poultry sausages.
Our fabrication area regularly handles cuts from full primals to 4 oz. portion steaks. All cuts are vacuum packaged. Our further processing can produce fresh and RTE sausages to a wide range of specifications.
We offer ham and bacon curing and slicing, in addition to the following specialty services:
- Natural Curing with celery juice
- Exact weight portioning of raw and cooked products
- Sausage Making with customer recipes
Some services do have minimum volume requirements and/or set-up charges. All processing is subject to our Terms of Service.
Processing Fees for Single Animals
|Slaughter per Head||Processing per Carcass Lb.|
|Lamb or Goat||Sorry, no longer available|
** Effective May 31st, 2016 until further notice all beef slaughtered will have a $10 per head rendering surcharge due the lower than average prices in the rending and hide markets in recent months. This surcharge is subject to change without notice and will be withdrawn once rendering returns to 5 year average levels.
- Certified Organic processing will be assessed a 10% surcharge.
- $15 charge per separate order.
- Beef may be cut custom by the half (side), hogs may only be cut custom as whole hogs, not halves or quarters.
- 1/3-lb. Patties available for $0.90/lb. with a 50 lb. minimum run.
- Pigs over 300 lbs. hanging weight, such as sows, and beef over 1,000 lbs. hanging will be assessed twice the slaughter charge.
- We do NOT offer slaughter-only services for beef. Hogs going out whole will be billed $160 flat fee.
- Beef weighing less than 400 lbs. will be billed a 400-lb. minimum. Hogs weighing less than 150 lbs. will be billed a 150-lb. minimum.
*** Dead of Winter Discount: Bring livestock in Feb. or March and get 10% off slaughter and processing – Sorry, this will not be offered in winter of 2017, but may return in winter of 2018.
Pigs over 400 lbs. and cattle with horns longer than 4″ will be turned away upon arrival. Please DO NOT send them to us.
1) Steaks and Roasts cut within weight ranges (e.g. 2-3 lb. roast and 7-9 oz steak).
2) 2 steaks per pack (individually packaged steaks available for $0.15/package surcharge).
3) All steaks and roasts packaged in shrinkable vacuum bags.
4) Ground beef in 1 lb. vacuum pouches.
5) All items bulk packaged in freezer boxes <30 lbs.
6) Farm Name printed on individual packages labels available upon request at no additional charge. Custom label layout will require additional set-up and fees.
7) Fabrication cost based on hot carcass hanging weight (without weighing edible organs).
8) Edible organs that we can process are Hearts, Livers, and Tongues.
9) Product will be frozen for pick-up unless otherwise specified.
Download Our Cut Sheets:
New to filling out a cut sheet? See our Cutting Suggestions.
Sausages, Curing and Smoking
|Item||Packaging||Charge per lb. Finished weight||Minimum Order|
|Sliced Bacon & Ends||1 lb. rollstock package||$2.75||2 bellies|
|Ham||shrinkable vacuum package||$2.10||2 hams|
|Smoked Linked Sausage||4×4 oz. links in rollstock package||$2.75||50 lbs.|
|Raw Linked Sausage||4×4 oz. links in rollstock package||$2.10||50 lbs.|
|Raw Bulk Sausage||1 lb. in vacuum package||$1.50||50 lbs.|
Smoked Sausage flavors available (made with pork or beef):
- Smoked Chorizo
- Smoked Kielbasa
Raw Sausage flavors available (made with pork only):
- Sweet Italian
- Hot Italian
- Maple Breakfast (add $0.15/lb. to above prices due to cost of maple syrup)
Additional sausage flavors available upon request with a 200 lb. minimum batch size.
All cured products can be made using a natural cure of fermented celery juice for an additional $0.25/lb. with a minimum 200 lb. batch size.
To Vermont Packinghouse – We work with many livestock haulers and can likely help your find someone to haul your livestock. Current rates are around $3 per loaded mile.
From Vermont Packinghouse – We can ship to most locations within about 150 miles of Vermont Packinghouse for $75 per pallet via Black River Produce. A pallet can typically hold up to about 1500 lbs, equaling approximately 3-4 beef or 10 hogs.
Cancellations less than 1 week from the date of slaughter will be assessed 2x the livestock slaughter charge. We are sorry to have to do this, but last minute cancellations have a real opportunity cost for us. This goes both ways: If we have to call you to change your slaughter date less than 1 week from the date, we will slaughter your animal(s) at no charge (other processing will still be charged). Thank you in advance for your understanding.